Day 10 People of the Big River

The Spokane Tribal Hatchery is very unique in it was a thought and an action in it origins; the people: Tim Peone and family, along with a few selected elders decided to create a Salmon Recovery and aquatic biota restoration hatchery on their homelands where they fished and ran and played as children. Vision became reality.
        Actions towards Salmon Recovery is very heartfelt among the Spokane.
In my experience here at the Spokane Reservation in the past and in the present, I have more or less acknowledged and accepted the fact that the salmon have no longer ran the Spokane River. It was only after I listened to my new friend Warren Seyler that I have a brand new prayer lined up for all the people of the Spokane Reservation and Warrens Mission as an advocate for the passing of sacred History of the Spokane Elders. I am on a similar path and it gives me comfort to know that there are people like Warren that I can reference and ask advice on sensitive material like Oral History.
In only a matter of days and deep heartfelt prayers and open sharing and conversation; we come to realize how much trauma and shock that takes place with the loss of  salmon. We as WANAPUM and YAKAMA people share this sacred food in all we do. The salmon is who we are, the salmon defines us, shares knowledge with us, keeps us healthy, keeps us smart, sharp, defined, hard working, balanced. The salmon is all we are, without the salmon we die spiritually. As the Brother Warren talked, I myself could feel the hurt in his voice to speak of this nightmare of reality. I humble myself and I feel the need to pray more, speak more, learn more, talk to more elders, keep the songs of the salmon people alive. I will. I will. I will. I have a true belief, a personal knowing in my heart as I move forward, that the songs I sing will carry more purpose and I will keep the people protected in a good way. The man and his family and his people of the Spokane have truly helped me in a personal way. I will have it no other way than to keep my promises ... To be a steward and protector of water and salmon Forever. ALIVE ARE THE SALMON IN MY HEART, in each and every prayer from this day forward. The Spokane people have endured many heartache as all Natives have. I admire the Spokane people and Warren Seyler's contributions in the ability to be resilient, to accept the past, live with the present, pray and teach the young people of a vision of Salmon that will one day rise again and dance across the waters of these beautiful waterways around Wellpinit and the MIGHTY SPOKANE.

Comments

  1. What a great experience you are having. Your blog entries inspires me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog