Thursday July 13th 2017

Day 4: Woke up in Niix ya way (Pendleton area and Umatilla Indian Country) So in my excitement and early rising I faced the Eastern Sunrise from the lawn of our hostess' The very well known Wenix Redelk and sister Acosia and said a prayer for our safe arrival. I also felt a restless leg syndrome from traveling all day Wednesday and passing out with the famous chili mac the night before. To say the least I was feeling groggy and glad that the new day had more exciting things planned besides traveling and taking in the scenery of the River which was good regardless. I got good pictures.
So after introducing myself to the land I did a mildly intense jog around the Longhouse which was right across the street. I went up the hill and got the heart rate cruising at the speed I enjoy.
Breakfast was good and I coffeed up and went on to the first scheduled presentation at the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation Governance center. Here, Wenix Redelk would describe the numerous “Visions” utilized by every Natural Resources Progra of the Umatilla. For example the “River Vision” & “Upland Vision”. The programs have used Traditional Longhouse and 7 drum methodologies of preservation standards. The lineup of traditional foods as they are served, presented, recognized and honored on the longhouse table follow the creation stories of the Wanapum, Yakama, Umatilla, Warm Springs and surrounding tribes and bands.
CTUIR have mission statements that are unique and as I understand referenced as much as possible. The Water Resources and Upland Resources Like stream health and Upland wildlife will filter through the entire food web from Largest wildlife to smallest aquatic biota among the upper streams down to the smallest tributaries around the Umatilla Indian Reservation. All decisions refer back to the mission statements and Visions. I think that is very awesome to finally integrate traditional paradigms into modern tribal governments. Awesome Sauce.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog