Day 5 July 14th

Yesterdays Mid-morning presentation at the First stop along the Umatilla River was a basic reminder of stream health and restoration modifications. Trial and error of re-vegetation projects seemed to be the most beneficial in the long-run. Wenix described how miscalculations had lead to loss of native species transplanting efforts along the river banks. I believe that is ok though, continuing to learn what works and what does not work is a very important in restoration; in most cases making mistakes can be more beneficial to a tribal program.
The things that were discussed along our cruise with Wenix went everywhere from 49 singing, family relationships, failed relationships, tribal programs, school, grant writing, Networking in Higher Education, Pow Wow politics, Bigfoot, succeeding as a college student and applying knowledge from internships. Wenix is very knowledgeable and was not afraid to share any and everthing from her personal experience. I was glad to cruise with her as she shared personal memories of the Umatilla River and its inhabitants.
Second stop; our group met up with Mike Mcloud who became an instant friend. Mike is a Fisheries Technician II, and had a great and giving personality. He eventually would share more than asked of him. As a 30 year fisheries veteran he mentioned the importance of education and respect for all of the fish and their migratory journey back to the Umatilla River.
OH WOW, My favorite part of the day for sure was jogging around the Lake after lunch and skying in the water. I honestly was burnt out from not getting my exercise the day before. When we got to the lake that is what made me most proud. I love learning and networking with Wenix and Mike and the many others who contribute to the People of the Big River group, but, just seeing the huckleberry fields the Umatilla River and Hatchery, driving the winding roads and hearing good stories and memories shared by Mike and Wenix ….was definitely what I took away; in a good way. The lake was most fun.

Yoga with Acosia Redelk was most invigorating!!! In a nutshell I sweat out a lot of frustration and felt tears of joy work their way out of my eyes as we stretched and stabilized our body to the fullest of our abilities. I had to give her a hug after sharing the Mountain Meditation and Water Meditations, BOO-YA! I love the way we were talking about Mental health issues that face Native People, the way Yoga; if used and utilized efficiently can support total health including physical, spiritual, and most importantly Mental Health. The renewal of spirit was heart throbbing!! I Loved it and will continue to modify my own meditation practices.

The salmon and root dinner showed much support to all the things we had discussed over the two days; I felt it my own duty to gather the People of the Big River class of 2017 and honor the traditional foods to the best of my ability IN A GOOD WAY, I SANG A SONG OF THE 7 DRUMS FROM WHICH I DERIVE. It proved to be a great thing I believe for all those present.. very good medicine to pray in your own way for the health of the spirit that lives within the salmon, deer and roots in which we give thanks and protect. NYE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog