Wednesday July 12th 2017

The Big River Crew awoke once again next to the Crashing and delightful sounds of a stream; The powerful Deschutes. As I listened to the gentle whispering winds as they breezed through the tall Ponderosa Pines scattered all around me I felt very calm and content in splashing my face and hands with the cool waters of the Deschutes for the last time on the Big River 2017 trip. It was very bitter sweet, seeing how this is my favorite ritual wherever I go, it does not matter what reservation, what forest, day camping trip or even cruise through a pass to a new destination, I keep it real in my love for all running water sources. I feel alive and awake when I do so and it is food for my soul. My soul awakens, my spirit is renewed. It was my parents and grandparents who made it clear that the wild and running cold water will always take care of me, center me and lead me home if I ever feel lost. This was my first Deschutes camping experience and I took away so many good memories; especially running with my best friend along open roads and old dirt trails. The sharing of our days at dinner time were most fun---this is the way it should be always...I learned that sometimes the most quiet people, when asked are the ones that may have the most on their mind and the most to express. Expression is what this trip radiates like the sun. I am going to always remember the Deschutes!
The high desert museum was the only spot we actually visited throughout the day that held significance for me, although connecting to my fellows in the van was very enjoyable. I walked through the museum with my partner Cristy as usual; and discussed the observed the many unique and colorful designs used by the people of the river in their bead work. It became clear that the stereotypes associated with Native as savages and beggars and drunks etc...was and has been a successful propaganda campaign in discrediting indigenous intellect. The hand eye coordination and patience and use of wildlife, plants, earth colors and natural designs like flowers, stars, deer, salmon, water, birds was absolutely stunning. Myself and Cristy went on to get a well needed coffee at the museum cafe which was Three dollars per cup.
The crew arrived at mission and set up camp at Wenix RedElk's property in the heart of Mission. Very mellow day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog